St. Panteleimon church is located in the village of Gorno Nerezi, near the capital of the country, the city of Skopje. The church is one of the oldest and most impressive monuments of culture, built and painted in 1164 under the patronage of the Byzantine Prince Alexios Komnenos whose name is made immortal by being carved in marble, right above the entrance in the church. It was dedicated to St. Panteleimon, the protector of health.
Many visitors are admiring the exceptional architecture that consists in irregular stone blocks and brick embedded in thick layers of mortar as well as the five domes that make this church a real masterpiece. The real cultural treasure is hiding inside the walls of the church, the magnificent fresco painting, famous for the dramatic facial expression and emotions of the figures, not commonly found in Byzantine art. Among the best achievements is the fresco Lamentation of Christ, considered by the art historians as a masterpiece associated with the renaissance at a much earlier stage than the blossoming of the Italian Renaissance with Giotto.